Alex Reeman-ClarkGeneral Manager Student Experience
Kaplan Business School
12:10 PM Implementing an Institution- wide Approach to Engaging Students throughout the Course of their Student Journey to Increase Student Retention
Attaining and maintaining engagement is a simpler process than reengaging students. What will engage an individual varies greatly between students, therefore it’s vital that each component of the educational experience is working in harmony towards the individuals needs. In this session we will review the entire institutional approach to making engagement and retention a priority:
- Creating an orientation process which goes beyond making a good first impression, creates a sense of institutional identity and communicates the most vital information for students.
- Providing educators with simple strategies for effective student engagement
- Linking support to one another and to academics to provide a more holistic student support service with multiple feedback pathways
- Stimulating and institutional culture where ‘talking’ is encouraged and students support one another and will seek available support services
- Revising support services to ensure they are timely, efficient and effective for students they are developed for
9:40 AM Panel Discussion: ‘Getting to Know’ Students for Improved Support Outcomes amongst all Students
Due to reforms to higher education, a changing economy and a rapid expansion of technology; the student cohort has changed dramatically in recent years. More students are working part time, caring for families, choosing to study externally and struggling financially. In order to adequately support and retain these students we must first understand what drives and challenges them in their student journey. This session will be an opportunity to come together and discuss strategies for institutions to engage with students on a personal level and provide channels for them to comfortably voice their concerns and issues.
- How can we improve the amount and quality of contact we have with students to collect more valuable information?
- What measures can be taken to make our institutions more approachable and student-centric?
- How can we better communicate this important information to all relevant staff members so that it is actioned accordingly?